If you are a Harley-Davidson fan turn away now… what you are about to see just might be too much for you. I wanted to create some red truck Christmas decor and found this fun truck that had a vintage style on sale at the craft store. I could see the potential with a little spray paint and a bottlebrush tee. Making this DIY red truck Christmas decor was one of those crafts that was super easy and fun to make, and I love how it looks on my mantel!
I picked up a can of red spray paint and taped off anything I didn’t want bright red, and sprayed away. I made sure to tape off not only the tires with blue painters tape but also any of the chrome parts that I wanted to remain silver. It took about three coats of red spray paint, drying between each coat to completely cover the truck. I will say I noticed I missed a few small spots when I was done.
I wanted to the tires to pop just a little bit more, so I used regular acrylic paint to make the tires white, just like on a vintage red truck. I used a bottlebrush tree from the craft store for my Christmas tree. To make it even more authentic, I may tie twine around the tree and the truck. Do you love red truck decor for Christmas? I think it;s so cute. I would love to have a real one some day!
Some tips on creating little red truck Christmas decor
- You can also do this with smaller matchbox cars or plastic trucks as along as the paint is compatible.
- If it’s too cold out to spray paint, use several coats of multi-surface paint.
- Bottlebrush trees come in many sixes, its also cute to cluster smaller ones together in the back.
- Let the truck take center stage and paint Merry Christmas on the doors or use tour last name and paint “tree farm” on the side.
- Use twine or ribbon and smaller toys to create red truck ornaments. These can be hung on a tree or used to embellish a wrapped gift.
- If your kids have truck toys they no longer play with that aren’t valuable, you can do this with dump trucks and other vehicles too!
- To find trucks to paint take a look on Etsy or Ebay
This is such a great addition to my decorating for the holiday season! I might have to make an entire parking garage full of them! I love creating handmade Christmas decor such as these jingle bell trees!
If you liked this post, you might also like: