Hi everyone, I am joining a group of really talented bloggers today to share with you some amazing projects made with leaves. I’m going to tell you. This isn’t one of them. It’s like they stuck a mule with the racehorses. I was going to scramble to re-do my project, but then I decided to share with you that sometimes, things don’t always turn out in the land of DIYing, and that’s ok. In fact, I’m laughing as I type this because it is so bad. I think sometimes as bloggers, we make all of this how-to look so simple and easy and really, we just don’t share the flops with you. I wanted to share this as the WORST PROJECT EVER MADE WITH LEAVES, and Imma gonna own it. I should really get a medal. This experience almost topped my day of macrame hell.
This project I am presenting to you today was going to be the ultimate leaf project. I wanted to make a concrete bowl imprinted with oak leaves. The inside would be painted gold. In my head it could be a vase, or a planter or a candle holder! It was going to be so high end, it would look like something right out of Anthropologie. They might even want me to make some for them when they saw it on Pinterest and sell them in their stores. I was so excited. Joanna was going to feature it on her IG page too. It was going to be THAT GOOD.
I love working with concrete, and have made dozens of projects so this would be a snap. NO PROBLEM. I first made a mold out of leaves by decoupaging them inside a bowl covered in plastic wrap. I thought about just gluing them in, but I wanted to make sure the concrete didn’t get under the leaves.
I let that part of the project dry completely. It was going pretty well. I should have known when I started it was already going bad. It hadn’t rained in weeks. It was so dry out the grass crunched under my feet. I started mixing the concrete when I heard the first crack of thunder and had a strange sense of foreboding as the humidity rose. This is when I should have started drinking.
I ended up creating my mold, getting the mixed concrete into it, and ran out the door to meet with a client while it cured. Perfect, I would get back, unmold it, let it cure a bit more, and paint it. I had it all worked out.
I got home, unmolded it , started removing the leaves, and as it crumbled, I noticed it didn’t really have the oak leaf pattern I wanted on it. I thought, we’ll maybe I can painting it and do a little distressing and they will show up a bit more, I turned it over to see the bottom and it promptly cracked in half as if it was mocking me. With the humidity, it really needed a full day or two to cure, and the bottle I used had ridges, so it created weaknesses. I almost chucked it and gave up, but I’m no quitter. When I was in second grade, if you gave up, Mrs. Kurtz would pull the baby hairs on the back of your neck. That life lesson still sticks with me today. I thought at the time it was because she was a strict teacher. I realize now it was because she was a miserable person who hated kids, and probably went home to her apartment full of 50 cats and ate TV dinners by herself while she watched Fantasy Island reruns. It would explain a lot.
So,baby hairs intact, I sighed , glued it back together and waited.
Once the glue set, I started painting it, and some areas started crumbling. I sighed again and waited.
Determined, I started painting again. And I added more color and didn’t like that. Then I tried another color and that looked bad. I should have stopped, but oh no. I kept on going like the true craft ninja I am.
After a while it was just a hot mess of muddy paint and disappointment. There was no oak leaf pattern, and it literally looked like something that one of my kids would bring home, and I would say “I love it so much!” and then stick it in a drawer to give back to them when they were a grown adult, and then they would ask me, “Why did you keep that?!”
So what do you do when a project goes totally south? Add some damn gold leaf, that’s what! I mean at this point, it’s so bad, it’s funny, and there’s always a shred of hope you are going to do something to a project that’s going to being a miracle. I was laughing to myself. So I added the damn gold leaf.
Friends. I even had the audacity to put a flipping candle in the thing and light it and hope for the best. I can’t believe with all of that paint it didn’t go up in flames. Now I started drinking. I thought, maybe it will look better if I take a picture of it in the daylight, because it was certainly looking better after a few drinks.
NOPE. I don’t know how it could be worse, but it’s even worse in the light. It’s the worst project made with leaves ever. Someone please give me an award for that. There has to be a trophy or something like this ugly sweater trophy, right?
So please, enjoy my blogging friends amazing leaf projects. I am going to sit here with worst project made with leaves ever as a reminder; Sometimes projects fail. That’s ok because it the creative world, there are do over’s , and redo’s. Maybe I’ll try it again, maybe I’ll go buy something similar at Anthropologie. As long as Mrs.Kurtz isn’t there.
And if you haven’t seen it, make sure you check out my new fall pillow collection in the shop. It’s much better than my leaf project, I promise!
13 Fall Leaf Project Ideas
Gold Dipped Leaf Place Cards – Modern Glam
How to Make a Paper Quilt Leaf – Happy Happy Nester
Fall Craft Ideas – Jennifer Maune
DIY Gilded Leaf Pumpkins – Tatertots & Jello
Watercolour Fall Leaf Free Printable Series – The Happy Housie
Fall Craft Ideas for Your Table – My 100 Year Old Home
Pressed Botanical Art – Craftberry Bush
Outdoor Fall Tablescape with Leaves – Hallstrom Home
Fall Wood Bead Garland – Lolly Jane
DIY Leaf Pillow – Thistlewood Farms
Dinner Rolls with a Cut Leaf Design – Twelve On Main
DIY Leaf Trivet – My Sweet Savannah
The Worst Project Made with Leaves Ever – Jennifer Rizzo