Home » DIY » A creative project and how a three hours flight to Utah took two days

A creative project and how a three hours flight to Utah took two days

So I have to share a big, fun secret with you that I’ve been keeping! A few months ago, Cricut and Hayneedle asked myself, and four other bloggers to partner with them on a fun creative project with a room transformation. Of course I jumped at the chance! It included a fun trip to Utah and getting to hang with some awesome people!

I just had to get there first.

As many of you know, Chicago’s weather can be very,very dicey. It’s 80 degrees one day, and the next day it’s snowing. I had a direct flight from O’Hare to Salt Lake City, because they are both major hubs. No biggie. Leave here at 8 am, be there by 12 on a quiet Sunday morning. And then, the snow started.

My morning flight was now bumped to 6 p.m. that night with a layover in Dallas.  I kept checking, and there were no delays or cancellations listed, so we headed off to the airport in case there were long TSA lines. I boarded at 5:30 and then the snow started. We were delayed until 8 p.m., and then we finally took off. By the time we got to Dallas, I had missed my connecting flight. They didn’t think they could get me out until 10 am the next morning.

There is nothing like being stuck in an unfamiliar city, with no clothing ( I had checked my bag), overnight to bring out your inner 8 year old, and feel a little lost. I was super -exhausted. I don’t fly a lot, so I wasn’t exactly sure what to do. I even got  a little teary-eyed… so much for being a big grown up! I resigned myself to sleeping upright in an airport chair all night, but hubby saved the day! He had been watching my flights and saw I wasn’t going to make it, and  booked a room in the Hyatt right in the airport for me, so I could at least lay down. The Hyatt gave me a toothbrush and toothpaste so that made me very happy! I am a tummy sleeper, but I had  a weird feeling, and slept on my back to preserve whatever make-up I had left on my face. I normally pack extra stuff in my carry on, but this was going to be a quick 3 hour tour (Que Gilligan’s Island music.). How could my bag possibly get lost?  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha…..

Luckily, after making several phone calls, the airlines got me on a 7:30 am flight through Phoenix to get in by 2:30 pm that next day,I was relieved, since we were supposed to be working on the project all day! I probably could have walked to Utah faster. On an upside,I did eat at an amazing breakfast place in the Dallas airport.

I was so happy to land in Salt Lake! I wish my luggage had been so lucky. It was still hanging out in Dallas, enjoying the nice weather there. I finally got it when I got back to the hotel that night around 1 am. Note to self, next time I travel, pack make-up and change of clothing, no matter what.

 Cricut picked me up, and I finally got to the amazing photo shoot location, and I jumped right in to our creative project!

Placing Cricut Vinyl on cutting mat #sponsored

All of the travel trouble was so worth it to be able to work on something so amazing! The other bloggers were such beautifully warm, and talented people,  everyone just flowed together seamlessly!

Cricut group 2016

Me,Idieh design,Love Create Celebrate,Crafty Blog Stalker, Melissa from Cricut,Whipperberry

Next week, I get to share all of the fun details with you on how we transformed a blank space using The Cricut Explore Air 2 , Gold foil, other materials, Hayneedle furniture, and Colorhouse paint together on this creative project!

A creative project with Cricut and Hayneedle #sponsored

I’ll have a video to share with you too,and the big reveal… I can’t wait to show you how it all  came together! I am proud to say when this was filmed at 11 at night, I had almost no makeup left, and I am wearing 2 day old clothing.However,it was so amazing I would have done it in a  toga with a pickle hat on my head. But, thank you God for making me pack that orange knit hat and my lipstick. The end(Until the big reveal!).

This is a sponsored post, opinions are all my own.


  1. Oh dear Jen! Nothing like weather to change all plans. We’re going to CA to visit my niece next month. Already saying prayers we get there and back not spending too many hours in airports. Glad you had time to be with the other girls and work on project. Look forward to seeing the room.

  2. Sorry you had such a tough time getting to Utah. I love Utah! Especially Park City. I can’t wait to see your reveal. Glad you had a great time.

  3. Oh that airport stuff stinks! I am glad you got there and had fun!
    I don’t travel often, or well. LOL
    Last time I packed everything in my 2 carry ons. (Disney)
    Hubby needs less stuff so we had him pack our stuff in his 2nd bag! HA!
    We had a delay going to and coming from the Bahamas on our honeymoon. (2012)
    NOT fun considering I have “special needs” when it comes to food.
    (I had packed my own…just in case!) Obviously THAT trip we did have to check our one huge bag…and paid $90 extra becuz of weight! I almost choked when they gave us the price. But what can you do THEN? LOL
    Travel is not for the weary. LOL

Comments are closed.