My client’s wanted a light on a budget, so I suggested looking at used, but rewired lighting. The front porch light was really dim .
they found these two very dated, brass light fixtures at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore while shopping.
(And F.Y.I. the ReStore does test all of their lights before they put them out on the sales floor;so there is no guessing if they work or are safe or not.) Neither of the metals matched each other, I think they were from two different decades.One was shiny gold and the other had some kind of 1970’s black finish over it.But, they were the perfect size and shape for what I was looking for. The same but different.Matching, but not matchy-matchy.
We decided to give them a cosmetic makeover.
Such a great deal. To match the 2 fixtures, I bought Rustoleum spray paint universal. They aren’t paying me,and they aren’t a sponsor, it’s just the product I’ve used before and had great results on metal.
I actually like to mix my colors a bit to make it look like a more original finish. I normally do a saturated spray with the lighter color and then give it a very light, speckled dusting of the darker color.
I made sure I am prepped and ready to go! I know, I look totally hawt in safety glasses and a mask. All I can say is you only have to get spray paint in your eyes once to make sure you never do it again. Okay, maybe twice, but that’s it. I swear. That never happened again a 3rd time with polyacrylic. Never. Ever.
On the smaller light, I taped(a lot) and sprayed, I hate taping glass and mirrors. And I didn’t want to spray the back inside part of the light in case someone used a high watt regular bulb and it started burning the paint.
I sprayed the brown tone first and made sure it was completely covered.
Then it got a very light dusting of black.
It did however take the lazy way out and I just stuffed paper on the inside so I didn’t have to find a way to tape up all of the glass on the inside. Did I mention I hated taping glass? I could have taken it a part as I did my larger piece, but I thought, work smarter not harder, right? On the 4 sided light, I knew I wanted to paint the entire thing inside and out, so I did unscrew the bottom,removed the bottom piece, and carefully slid the glass pieces out, making sure I didn’t lose any little bits. I also taped over the electrical sockets with painter’s tape beforehand.
And again, I sprayed away. Once it was dry, I removed the tape and put everything back together.
Here’s a snapshot of the light next to their door.
It’s such an improvement!!!
click here to register for my Santos Doll e-course!
If you are reading this post at any other sites or blogs besides Jenniferrizzo.com, your rss feed,e-mail or in your reader this is stolen content.
*This was posted Via Jennifer Rizzo. com